McCarthy discharged from hospital

The A’s just sent out this release, announcing the wonderful news that Brandon McCarthy has been discharged from the hospital less than a week after undergoing emergency brain surgery:

OAKLAND, Calif. – Brandon McCarthy, who underwent head surgery last Wednesday after sustaining injuries from a batted ball in a game played at the Coliseum earlier that day, was discharged from California Pacific Medical Campus in San Francisco earlier this afternoon.

Dr. Peter Weber, the neurologist who performed the surgery at CPMC, and Dr. Allan Pont, A’s team physician, both felt that McCarthy had made an excellent recovery and could be safely released from the hospital.

McCarthy, 29, issued this statement upon leaving the hospital today:

“From the bottom of our hearts, (my wife) Amanda and I want to thank everyone who was involved in responding to and treating my injury, starting with Dr. Weber and all the team’s medical personnel from doctors Allan Pont, Elliott Schwartz and Jon Dickinson to the Oakland A’s athletic trainers, as well as the other physicians and nurses who were on duty around the clock in the Critical Care Unit at California Pacific. We feel the same way about the ambulance driver and those who first met us at the hospital. We could not have been in better hands.

“We also want to express our deep appreciation to our teammates, manager and coaching staff for their concern and encouragement during the uncertain times, and also want to thank all the A’s fans who wished us well. It’s times like these when you realize you have an extended family, and feel so fortunate. Now we look forward to continuing the healing process, and returning to baseball and our normal lives in the weeks and months ahead. Go A’s!”

After the incident occurred in the fourth inning of last Wednesday’s game against the Angels, it was team physicians Schwartz (internal medicine) and Dickinson (team orthopedist), and athletic trainer Paparesta who initially took McCarthy to Alta Bates Summit Medical Center in Oakland. A CT Scan revealed an epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion and skull fracture. Later in the evening, McCarthy was transferred to California Pacific Medical Campus, where a neurosurgeon performed a second CT scan and clinical examination, which resulted in surgery to relieve pressure from the pitcher’s head. The two-hour procedure included the evacuation of an epidural hemorrhage and the stabilization of the skull fracture.

Dr. Pont, vice president of medical affairs and chief medical officer at California Pacific Medical Campus, oversaw the daily care of McCarthy at his headquarter facility.

McCarthy will remain in the Bay Area for at least the next three weeks, the team said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: