A’s @ Indians: Pregame notes
A morning at A’s camp wouldn’t be complete without some injury updates before I hit the road for Goodyear:
- Rich Harden was tentatively scheduled to throw off the mound tomorrow, but he won’t do that after yesterday’s long toss session didn’t go well. Harden is seeing a doctor this morning — he’s dealing with the same lat muscle issue — and there’s no telling when he’ll be on the bump again. Geren said the soreness isn’t as bad as when it first surfaced a month ago, but we should know more by day’s end.
- Michael Wuertz, scheduled to throw in his first Cactus League game tomorrow, still has the green light. He’ll likely see an inning of work at home for some split-squad action against his former Cubs team.
- Craig Breslow is throwing a bullpen today and, if all goes well, he’ll pitch in some kind of game setting on Wednesday. The A’s have the day off, but he could be thrown into a simulated game, where there would be a controlled environment. Barring any setback, he’ll pitch somewhere, because Gio Gonzalez is also scheduled to take his turn that day.
- Beginning tomorrow, Cliff Pennington will officially be cleared to bat right-handed in games. That leaves him plenty of time to ease back into action from that side before the season starts. And it means that, as long as things continue to go well for him, he’ll be in the clear with no limitations come Opening Day.
- Adam Rosales is still antsy but trying to remain patient with his rehab. He’s been playing catch and doing a lot of upper body work to remain strong. He told me this morning he hasn’t felt this strong since college. He’ll visit the doctor again in a couple of days to see if he can expand his baseball activity.
Some lineups for your Monday morning:
OAKLAND: Crisp CF, Kouzmanoff 3B, Willingham LF, Matsui DH, Carter 1B, Powell C, Carson RF, Weeks 2B, Sogard SS, Braden P
Also scheduled to pitch: Andrew Bailey, Jerry Blevins, Brad Ziegler, Trystan Magnuson
CLEVELAND: O. Cabrera 2B, A. Cabrera SS, Choo RF, Kearns LF, Hafner DH, Buck CF, Duncan 1B, Hannahan 3B, Marson C, Masterson P