A’s @ Rangers: Pregame notes
A few quick updates before I hit the road for a lengthy drive to Surprise, where the A’s meet the Rangers for the second time this spring:
- Daric Barton (calf contusion) was held out of the lineup again today but he should be ready to go tomorrow.
- Craig Breslow has officially been deemed day-to-day with a left hamstring strain. He definitely won’t pitch in tomorrow’s game, as the team had initially hoped, but the good news is that he’s been able to keep up with his throwing program. It’s simply best he stays out of game action in case he has to field a ball or cover first — moves that would aggravate the hamstring.
- Michael Wuertz (shoulder) is throwing live batting practice (20 pitches) this morning. If all goes well, he could potentially make his Cactus League debut as early as Saturday. Geren calls that “best case scenario.”
- Rich Harden (lat muscle) is off today, and he’ll resume his throwing program tomorrow. Like I mentioned yesterday, Harden could potentially throw off the mound beginning Saturday (at the earliest) but, considering the days in camp are quickly dwindling, it’s unlikely he’ll be ready by April 1.
- Andrew Bailey is still scheduled to take to the mound for the first time this spring tomorrow against the Royals.
- Conor Jackson is tied with Wes Timmons for the fourth-most at-bats this spring with 20, but he’s only collected just one hit. When I asked Geren about Jackson this morning, he said he actually considers Jackson to have compiled the most consistent ABs – he just has nothing to show for them. Geren likes his short, aggressive swing, as well as the versatility he offers the lineup, especially with Barton out at first right now.
Ryan Sweeney makes his spring debut today. He’s playing right field and batting in the sixth spot. Here are the lineups:
OAKLAND: Ellis 2B, DeJesus CF, Jackson 1B, Matsui DH, Kouzmanoff 3B, Sweeney RF, Carter LF, Powell C, Tolleson SS, Braden P
Also scheduled to pitch: Blevins, DeHoyos, Farquhar, Magnuson, McCarthy
TEXAS: Kinsler 2B, Andrus SS, Hamilton CF, Cruz RF, Young 1B, Napoli DH, Murphy LF, Torrealba C, Davis 3B, Holland P